Saturday, September 24, 2016

Welcome Two New Members - Linda Atkinson and Barbara Moody


Linda Atkinson


The play of light and shadow has always been a recurring theme in my painting, whether in the fine art that I create now, or the craft painting of the past. I work primarily in acrylics, but give in often to the challenge of oils and watercolor. I love color, and continually strive to master the balance of having fun with it and getting it right.

I have studied under the area's best artists at The Studio School in Roanoke, and shown my work as a member of The League of Roanoke Artists. I have been involved with art in one form or another my entire life, and consider it such a gift. Since retiring several years ago, I am fortunate to be able to devote time and energy to what I love to do. I reside in Vinton, Virginia, with my husband, two dogs, with the beauty of the countryside out my back door


Penumbra

Cassie at the Farm



Cassie


Barbara Moody



I have spent most of my life in artistic pursuits, with an Art Education degree from the University of Delaware and a minor in Photography. I taught eight years in Delaware before moving with my husband to Lynchburg, Virginia, where we raised our two children. I taught Art at schools in Campbell County and Lynchburg City, and Photography in summer programs at Central Virginia Community College. In 1993, I helped to start an innovative Arts program at a new magnet school in Lynchburg. For eighteen years I taught Visual and Performing Arts in my dream job, including many different arts disciplines of painting, drawing, sculpture, puppetry, dance, theatre, television production, photography, and more. I was named Virginia Region V Teacher of the Year in 1995, and the following year, the Southwest Region Elementary Art Teacher of the Year. During that time I also worked as a Master Teacher for Blue Ridge Public Television.

Always the teacher, I rarely had time for my own art, but over the years my interests have been in painting, fused and stained glass work, jewelry-making, and photography. After retirement I’ve finally been able to focus more on my arts. My husband and I found a place at Smith Mountain Lake with its endless water views and beautiful mountain vistas. First with camera, and then with brushes and paint, I have found my inspiring” happy place”. I feel fortunate to have found this group of women at Art Visions Gallery who share my love of art and painting. I have gotten back to the joy of watercolor, acrylic and oil painting endeavors. I look forward to sharing, learning and working with this talented group of artists and friends.

Sailing

Snowfall at Gangplank Point

Catch of the Day